[HamWAN PSDR] Signal Strength Needed for Internet Connection.

Nigel Vander Houwen nigel at nigelvh.com
Tue Nov 6 10:57:46 PST 2018

David,

Looking at your linked page, the '/interface wireless monitor 0’ command results are the most telling.
> [admin at WA9ONY-LARCH] > /interface wireless monitor 0
>                   status: connected-to-ess
>                  channel: 5880/5/an
>        wireless-protocol: nv2
>                  tx-rate: 1.8Mbps-5MHz/1S/SGI
>                  rx-rate: 1.6Mbps-5MHz/1S
>                     ssid: HamWAN
>                    bssid: 64:D1:54:6A:64:26
>               radio-name: S3.Larch/K7WAN
>          signal-strength: -81dBm
>      signal-strength-ch0: -105dBm
>      signal-strength-ch1: -81dBm
>       tx-signal-strength: -84dBm
>   tx-signal-strength-ch0: -90dBm
>   tx-signal-strength-ch1: -86dBm
>              noise-floor: -105dBm
>          signal-to-noise: 24dB
>                   tx-ccq: 9%
>                   rx-ccq: 6%
Here you’re seeing a reported “signal strength” of -81, but bear in mind that it’s a bit misleading because this is a two way connection, it’s important to also look at how the cell site is hearing you, the “tx-signal-strength” figures, and what your ccq’s are.

We usually see -90 being the threshold of being able to see anything at all. -80 or below being pretty marginal signals. Below -70 is getting into better territory. Above -70 is where we would expect the best performance.

With regards to the ccq figures, consider those a “success rate”, in the above data, only 9% of your transmitted frames are making it to the cell site successfully, and even worse you’re only getting 6% on RX. Trying to push internet (or much of anything at all), through that much loss is definitely problematic.

In this case, your signals are pretty weak to begin with, and that is shown in the ccq’s, it’s also possible to have good signal strengths and still get bad ccq figures if there’s lots of noise/interference/etc that interferes with proper frame decoding.

Also, you should make sure both chains are enabled on your radio. ‘/interface wireless set 0 tx-chains=0,1 rx-chains=0,1’ They may be already, but it’s always good to check since sometimes the stock config doesn’t have them enabled.

Nigel