[HamWAN PSDR] [Netops] Oregon and Washington HamWAN

Scott J. Burrows sburrows97211 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 30 11:34:14 PDT 2018

Awesome … thanks!!

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob Salsgiver <rob at nr3o.com>
To: 'Scott J. Burrows' <sburrows97211 at comcast.net>,
'Hamwan Network Ops Operations' <netops at hamwan.org>, 'Nigel Vander Houwen'
<nigel at nigelvh.com>, 'PSDR' <PSDR at hamwan.org>, 'Tom Hayward' <tom at tomh.us>
Sent: 10/29/2018 8:56:28 PM
Subject: RE: [Netops] Oregon and Washington HamWAN

Scott,
I see as I’m nearing the end of writing this that Nigel has also responded, so
take this with a grain of salt <g>.  Rather than re-write, I’ll simply finish
and contribute to the discussion.
There have always been plans to carry HamWAN from Oregon to B.C., and the
current map shows the progression to date, with coverage from Larch Mtn (near
Portland) to Triangle in Victoria.
The efforts of the first 3-5 years have largely been geared toward establishing
a footprint to operate from, get the HamWAN “brand” and concept established,
and encourage use and participation.  As you likely know, getting “in” to key
sites to build such a network doesn’t happen overnight.   Some sites have
literally been years in the “making”.
The primary “hands on” work of building HamWAN to date has largely been done by
its primary creators, who in the last 12-18 months have each had other facets
of their lives take front seat.  In the last 6-8 months we’ve seen an influx of
new Board members and admins who have stepped forward to help continue HamWAN
forward into its next phase.  In the last couple of months things have started
to move again, but it has taken some time for new folks to get familiar with
things, learn from their mistakes, and to absorb what they can from the “old
guard” when they have time to share their wisdom.
As far as a “master plan” to integrate Oregon and Washington, I am not aware of
any such plan per-se.  I know there have been sidebar conversations between
folks here and there about getting across the river, but I don’t know who with
or how far they’ve gone.
That said, there is nothing to keep Oregon folks from setting up a HamWAN of
their own, separate from what is being done here in Puget Sound, and similar to
the efforts you’ve noted in Memphis, Tampa Bay, etc.  There are some aspects
that might benefit from a combined effort, but it can proceed independently.
HamWAN is a set of standards, and the various HamWAN implementations around the
country share those connectivity and design standards.
You are right that IRC is not much used for strategic planning.  It is mostly
used for day to day support, brainstorming, and problem solving.  In the last
year or two there hasn’t been as much on the strategic planning aspects as the
primary movers of the effort simply haven’t had the time.  With new board
members and admins, there have been several conversations about revising
documentation, planning new sites, and essentially those elements you would
expect to happen to help continue the program’s development.
Your message is timely and it fits well with some of the similar discussions
going on between the new and old admins and board members.  We are at the stage
where we have some good new folks involved, but we are moving through the
process of getting new up to speed with the “old”, getting new people to take
over tasks no longer able to be supported by the creators, etc, etc.   We have
8+ additional sites we are looking to implement at this time, and numerous
client sites as well.
Where we are today is a necessary step in both the development and continuation
of HamWAN.  The steps we take today to get the current generation of admins and
Board members up to speed should help “round out” the documentation and
processes for bringing the next generation(s) on as well.
Congrats on the interest and securing the funding.  I look forward to working
with you and seen how things go forward.  I won’t have all of the answers, but
I’ll do my best to help things along.
Cheers,
Rob Salsgiver – NR3O