[HamWAN PSDR] [Netops] Oregon and Washington HamWAN

Scott J. Burrows sburrows97211 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 30 12:01:50 PDT 2018

Nigel,

Thanks for the reply.  The Oregon group (oregonhamwan.com) will be meeting on
November 10th (9am-12) to discuss organizing efforts.  Additionally, identify
possible sector locations in Portland, OR and possibly Vancouver, WA.  The
interest in this area is huge with many people waiting for action.  I have
learned this past month, local radio clubs had purchased equipment in CY2014 to
deploy when the Larch Mountain connection was completed.

I attend the Clark County Amateur Radio Club (CCARC) digital group meetings in
Vancouver, WA.  They are discussing pilot projects, funding, and other aspects
for the State of Washington.  The idea is to have a Northern and Southern route
in Washington for the emergency communications.

I understand your concerns about limited resources and staffing to help in
these efforts.  However, I would like to offer a solution to the problem.  If
PSDR could work with a small group of technical and strategic members of the
PDX/Vancouver team, we could help each other.  In the military we called it
"Train the Trainers".  We could help create procedures, documentation, and
other artifacts that helps everyone involved.

I hope your group will see the benefit of working together with others to
deploy workable solutions for emergency communications.  We hams are very
talented and have time to help.  Please discuss this topic at your next board
meeting.  Thanks

Scott, N7DOD