[HamWAN PSDR] [Netops] Oregon and Washington HamWAN

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Tue Oct 30 14:44:30 PDT 2018

On 10/29/18 11:31 PM, Nigel Vander Houwen wrote:
> HamWAN is a standard that anyone can go and build. You noted some of these
> sister networks before. Tampa, Memphis, (2x) BC, Spokane, are all set up by
> other folks who were interested. Depending on the situation, they have
> coordinated with us more or less. “HamWAN Oregon” would be the same, if we can
> link via RF, that’s fantastic, but that isn’t a requirement for getting a
> local instance going down there.

And it's a basic standard at that, which is a good thing.   HamWAN Tampa run
things a bit differently, using a bridged network vs. routed at the AP level.
We've also had a number of back and forth issues with the DSRC users, who tend
to not be competent when it comes to radio engineering.

I'd point out the OPP option too if you can't get good/free peering in Oregon.
 We're working on a second IP connection here in Tampa Bay for redundancy.

The largest thing you need is a good local group of people who understand the
technology involved.  Might be a good idea to get a tour of some of the
Seattle infrastructure by some of these people.  If you're new to networking
and IP, you're going to get up to speed really fast, so it's better if you
have people who know it to mentor your group.

Wishing you the best of luck from Tampa Bay HamWAN.

73's
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice