[HamWAN PSDR] is -76dBm a strong enough signal?

Edward Cukiernan ecukierman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 01:50:37 PDT 2018

Hi all, I was hoping to ask a question on if I should expect to be able to
connect to hamwan. The short version is that I am using a Mikrotik BaseBox
5 RB912UAG-5HPnD-OUT, and I can occasionally get a connection, but it
usually only lasts a couple of minutes and disconnects. When I am connected
my status looks like this:

                  status: connected-to-ess
                 channel: 5880/5/an
       wireless-protocol: nv2
                 tx-rate: 10.8Mbps-5MHz/1S/SGI
                 rx-rate: 9.7Mbps-5MHz/1S
                    ssid: HamWAN
                   bssid: 4C:5E:0C:8B:0D:70
              radio-name: K7WAN/ETiger-S3
         signal-strength: -76dBm
     signal-strength-ch0: -76dBm
      tx-signal-strength: -75dBm
  tx-signal-strength-ch0: -90dBm
  tx-signal-strength-ch1: -75dBm
             noise-floor: -125dBm
         signal-to-noise: 49dB
                  tx-ccq: 49%
                  rx-ccq: 56%
   authenticated-clients: 1
        current-distance: 29
                wds-link: no
                  bridge: no
        routeros-version: 6.41.3

The things I was wondering about.

1) Any idea why I am seeing tx-signal-strength-ch0 being so much worse
that tx-signal-strength-ch1?
doesthis mean I don't have my antenna in the right orientation to match the
polarization on tiger?

2) Is it a problem that I am running an old version of router os? I see I
am running 6.37.1, but the sector is running 6.41.3

3) Any idea why I see to signal strengths for tx, but just one for rx?

4) sometimes I see a noise floor of -105, which obviously lowers my snr. Is
this an indication that something is causing interference?

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm looking forward to connecting for longer
than just a traceroute :)

Thanks,
--Eddie