[HamWAN PSDR] OpenSSH "NONE" Patch. Was New to HAMWAN (NE Portland)

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 13:07:10 PDT 2018

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018, Bart Kus wrote:

> PPS: We have had far better success with SSH.  MikroTik (our router vendor)
> did respond to our request to implement SSH with null cipher support, and you
> can now use a custom built ssh client
> <https://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Authentication/SSH%20Without%20Encryption.html>
> to SSH into HamWAN routers while remaining P97 compliant and retaining most
> security benefits of SSH, aside from privacy.

Note: I had a bit of an on-going battle with the OpenSSH developers for a while over their dropping of the "NONE" cipher. The battle involved me asking for it, one of the main developers telling me: "Get your country to change the stupid ham rules", or some-such. I tried a year later and got about the same response. I gave up on that venue.

The end result: Chris Rapier, the guy who puts out the high performance computing patches for OpenSSH contacted me. He had the "NONE" patch as part of his monster HPN-SSH patch, said if I wanted to separate out just the "NONE" patch he'd make it available for download alongside his other patches from then on. He's done so.

     https://www.psc.edu/hpn-ssh

For instance for OpenSSH-7.7-P1:

     https://sourceforge.net/projects/hpnssh/files/HPN-SSH%2014v15%207.7p1/

It would be the file called:

     openssh-7_7_P1-hpn-NoneSwitch-14.15.diff

In the future as OpenSSH moves along you should still be able to apply the "NONE" patch from his site to the appropriate OpenSSH version.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
   "Lotto:  A tax on people who are bad at math." - unknown