[HamWAN PSDR] Puget Sound Project Status update (sites)

Randy Neals randy at neals.ca
Tue Sep 11 23:57:21 PDT 2018

There is an EmComm focussed initiative to push a backbone over the Cascades
to Yakima.
It's is the "talking and making friends stage".

The belief is that Yakima is likely to be unaffected by a serious natural
disaster occuring in Puget Sound.
That a backbone link over the Cascades would be helpful to reach an
alternative internet connection outside Puget Sound.
That a mutual aid system may develop between EmComm groups on both sides to
help one another in a time of need.
For example, operators in Yakima could assist from remote to pass traffic
in/out of a disaster area, etc.

Potential Site Names.
>From Baldi heading East.
Ravens Roost (Backbone) [also known as AT&T American River]
Bethel Ridge (Backbone and possibly 1 sector)
Elephant Mountain (Backbone and Sector)
I would anticipate a staged implementation that might focus on the Yakima
end first, get sectors up, users connected, then build the backbone west
over the Cascades as incremental step.

As noted, this is in the "talking and making friends stage" and while we
hope it develops, as a practical matter it may not.

Randy
W3RWN