[HamWAN PSDR] Network-y stuff.

Rob Salsgiver rob at nr3o.com
Mon Apr 15 20:18:32 PDT 2019

Mark,

In general it is not hard at all to ask for (and get) an address, two, or more setup.  For the most part it’s just asking the question.  If you have other items already up there, it is likely you already have a pool of addresses assigned to the site and just need to use one.  If you are attaching to a cell site from a distance as a client, then it is a matter of setting up an address pool that is routed over your client connection.

I did some looking at the existing Capital Peak addressing and did not see anything in the hosts file for the IP phone and Echolink, so if you can shoot me the existing address for those two I can pin down what address space they are in and see how much more is still available.  I take it the iGate will be plugged in the same switch / location as the other gear?

As far as firewalls/etc go, I tend to differ from some of the others on the list only in how I approach it.  Unless there’s a compelling reason to leave a device on public IP space, I tend to prefer to put it behind  a dedicated firewall whenever possible and do classic port forwarding.  It is also 100% possible to leave it in the public address space and firewall it off there as well.  The only difference is that public firewall rules are easier to fat-finger and mess up than your typical Netgear/Linksys firewall which guides your firewall capabilities through a simpler user interface (web page).  In the end it is entirely up to you and either will do what you want with respect to allowing telnet and web access to the device.  I have an iGate with identical functionality in Everett as do others.  You can also restrict >where< telnet and web can be used from instead of just leaving it wide open for the entire world to keep hacking at.

Let us know what you can and we’ll help get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,

Rob