[HamWAN PSDR] Bill of Materials for Cell Site

Rob Salsgiver rob at nr3o.com
Tue Apr 23 13:07:53 PDT 2019

Jamie,

Good to meet you.  It is entirely possible and authorized - even encouraged.
I just held a discussion on the topic at Comm Academy this year, and part of
the focus was on building communications "communities".

Most of the initial focus is usually getting a location connected to the
HamWAN "backbone" - or one of the high level mountain-top sites.  This is
almost never possible when looking at an entire community, so it makes sense
to build local cells to connect facilities within the community.  In an
ideal world your local community would create 2 or 3 cells, allowing each
key facility with town to be connected to 2 sites for redundancy.  In turn,
the community "hub" if you will, would also have 2 or more connections out
to the Puget Sound HamWAN backbone for connections to the rest of the world.

In the event that the trunks out to the Puget Sound HamWAN backbone are
taken down, you still have communications within your community between
fire, police, city hall, school district, public works, shelter sites, or
whomever else you want to add.

Because each site and case is different, a fixed Bill of Materials is hard
to nail down.  We can easily give you a few examples, but your needs will be
unique to who(m) you want to connect, and how you want to connect them.

I would encourage you to start gathering a list of points you would like to
connect (names, phone numbers, addresses, GPS coordinates).  With this you
can start doing some ground-work on good starting sites to explore and how
many facilities can be covered by them.

You may already be a mile ahead of me on some of this, if so I apologize.
Even so it may be good for others on the list.

If you have a list of potential client and cell sites you are focused on,
let me know and I can help look at coverage maps to see how it lays out.

General ball-park costs are as follows:

1)      Single-dish connected client site - $600 (includes uplink dish and
radio, access point and site router, and VOIP phoe)

2)      Dual-dish connected client site - $900-$1100 (similar to above,
connecting to 2 or more other sites)

3)      Fully populated cell site - $2500-$4500, depending on number of
links, sectors, etc.

Give a shout if you have more questions.

Cheers,

Rob Salsgiver - NR3O