[PSDR] Spooky October HamWAN Update

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Fri Oct 26 13:02:47 PDT 2012

Hello,

A lot has happened recently, and I've been lagging on communication, so
here's an oversized update.  If you would like to take some of the tasks
below off my hands, let me know!  The to-do list is kind of overwhelming
right now.

*Administrative*

HamWAN is now officially a non-profit corporation in the state of
Washington.  We've also got a business license and an IRS EIN for tax
purposes.  Because of the nice legal statuses, we've now got a bank
account, a PayPal account and a credit card!  Just like a real boy!

This has all allowed HamWAN to launch the DONATION PROGRAM!  Right now,
yes right now, you can hit up HamWAN.org and make donations! You can
also become a long-term supporter and donate on a recurring monthly or
yearly basis.  I don't want to drown the rest of this status update
email with donation details and why they're important and what donating
gets you, so please read the details at the Service Levels
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Service+Levels> page.

The next steps on the legal front will be making a 501(c)(3) filing.
The process has begun and the board should be approving it in early
November.  Processing time with the IRS will be a few months.

Speaking of the board, it is composed of:

Position
	Name
	Callsign
Bart Kus
	Chairman
	AE7SJ
Curt Black
	Director
	WR5J
Benjamin Krueger
	Director
	N2IHK

I would like the board to grow, so if you or anyone you know is serious
about contributing, please get in touch.

*Technical*

Here at HamWAN Labs (aka: my home) engineers (aka: me) were successful
in setting up an MPLS network with 4 MikroTik routers:

[admin at D] > /tool traceroute 192.168.44.10
  # ADDRESS                                 RT1   RT2   RT3 STATUS
  1 10.0.2.1                                10ms  8ms   8ms <MPLS:L=29,E=0>
  2 10.0.3.1                                13ms  7ms   10ms
<MPLS:L=23,E=0>
  3 10.0.1.1                                10ms  9ms   8ms <MPLS:L=28,E=0>
  4 192.168.42.1                            9ms   8ms 9ms
  5 192.168.44.10                           11ms  10ms 9ms

MPLS-TE is next up on the network test agenda.  IPv6 was tested
successfully.  Maximum over-the-air data throughput was tested as 123Mbit/s.

On the RF side of things, maximum throughput was measured on two RF
links simultaneously, within close proximity to each other, and
configured to use adjacent spectrum.  The results showed interference
and slow-downs.  So now it is important to measure the inter-antenna
coupling and relate it to some minimum guard band size.  In this
harshest of conditions (no inter-antenna shielding) a guard band of
20MHz was sufficient to eliminate all interference and slow-downs.
Although the tests were only being done @ 10mW not the full 1.3W, so as
to not saturate the receivers.

Speaking of antennas, HamWAN Labs has a couple candidate models in stock
and is about to perform analysis!  Doing work at 6GHz is no easy feat,
but for about $700 it looks like we're all geared up to pull it off.
The test setup is something like this
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Antenna+Testing&structure=HamWAN>.
But due to budget constraints only one power meter is available
(although it's dual-channel!), and the coupler is unidirectional, not
bidirectional, so it'll have to be switched around to perform the two
different measurements.  A little sprinkling of GPIB control software
and these instruments should take a few hours to perform a complete
sweep of each antenna, measuring:

1) Incident power
2) Reflected power
3) Received power
4) Frequency

This will characterize the SWR of each antenna and their claims of 16dBi
maximum gain.

The next antenna experiment will be to measure radiation patterns, as
the manufacturer specs are not trustworthy.  HamWAN Labs has bought a
rotor for this purpose and it needs to be rigged with a custom
controller circuit to step it accurately.  It also needs to be subject
to computer control.

We'll need to figure out a way to control elevation as well as azimuth
to produce 3D models.  Given the short transmission ranges involved, a
typical Az-El rotor setup will introduce excessive sideways motion of
the antenna under test and will skew the results.  I'm open to
suggestions.  The TX and RX antennas are spread about 20ft apart.

Finally, and this is the stretch goal, it would be good to measure
radiation patterns as they vary with frequency.

Once the antennas are fully characterized, inter-antenna coupling can be
modelled and interference can be minimized.  The coupling should also be
directly measurable by setting up the antennas as though they were part
of a distribution node (3-sector cell site), injecting a known signal,
and measuring the RX.  This type of measurement will just verify the
antenna models are correct, and that the measurement methods are sound.

I'm also trying to calibrate the Boonton 4200 power meter and the power
probes.  To this end, I'll be trying to construct a copy of a Boonton
2500 DC calibrator unit.  The ones on eBay are prohibitively expensive
for what amounts to a 10VDC supply in a box with a bunch of resistors.
I don't have a good AC calibration source (50MHz from +20dBm to -20dbm
for one sensor, and down to -60dBm for another), so I'll be faking it
with signal generators and an oscilloscope I have on-hand.  If you
happen to have an accurate and calibrated signal source @ 50MHz, do let
me know!

*Sites*

On the site front, Cougar is still in the works and taking longer than
expected.  Please do talk to people you know and help secure sites for
the project.  There's a map of desired sites here
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Puget+Sound+Data+Ring&structure=HamWAN>,
towards the bottom of the page.  Gold Mtn, Blyn Mtn, Capitol Peak,
Hatfield's Daughter, Sugarloaf Mtn, Graham Hill, Cougar Mtn, Tiger Mtns
and that one Unknown one is apparently Cultas Mtn...these all need to be
landed.  Paine Field and Mt.Constitution are secured. Lyman Hill is
securable with money.

*Speaking of Money
*

Just to file for 501(c)(3) charity status is a $400 application fee, so
please, people, donate!  And spread the word to other hammy-compu-nerds!

Thanks,

--Bart

PS: Real-time project discussion / coordination is on irc.freenode.org
in #HamWAN.