[PSDR] Feedback on HamWAN mission statement / purpose

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu Sep 27 20:49:52 PDT 2012

Hello,

As part of becoming a non-profit and seeking a 501(c)(3) status with the
IRS, HamWAN needs to formalize its stated purpose.  This language needs
to be generic enough to not encumber the organization's goals in the
coming years, and yet specific enough to define the correct focus and
meet 501(c)(3) criteria.  Below is my first draft at this mission
statement, and I'd like to get feedback on it, especially from anyone
who has been through founding an org and seeking 501(c)(3) status.  Here
we go:

*HamWAN Mission Statement*

HamWAN is focused on creating, operating and coordinating free digital
networks.These digital networks are used for (1) emergency
communications when other systems go down, (2) research and development
in the realm of microwave networking, (3) a means of free digital
communication for anyone who is or becomes a licensed radio amateur, (4)
an educational resource in spreading the knowledge of how to create,
operate and use such networks.All knowledge generated and gathered by
HamWAN in the realm of microwave networking is made freely available to
the public for unrestricted consumption.Coordination services provided
by HamWAN ensure the interoperability of other similar networks not
directly under HamWAN's control.

Thanks,