[HamWAN PSDR] IP space plan

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu Feb 7 12:27:12 PST 2013

I've thought about this quite a bit over the last few months.  I'd like
us to take a multi-net approach here.  I think HamWAN is the exact kind
of network that Net-44 aims to please, so I'd like to deploy Net-44
subnets here. This will allow easy peering with ISPs once HamWAN gets an
Autonomous System Number (ASN).  However, IPv4 address space may be an
issue, if not for technical than possibly for political reasons.  So use
of Net-44 space may be limited to the most public endpoints of
communication.  Only experience will tell.

To mitigate the risks of Net-44 use, I think it makes sense for HamWAN
to register (a) public IPv6 block(s).  There ought to be plenty of these
around, and it'd be good to avoid NAT where possible.  Just one of these
IPv6 /64 networks should be enough for all foreseeable purposes.  The
tricky part is it may be impossible to get a block without an ASN.  And
it's impossible to get an ASN without existing multi-homed ISP
contracts.  Correct me if I'm wrong here. Relevant doc
<http://www.apnic.net/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/23994/how-to-get-initial-ipv6-block.pdf>.
Have not read it all yet, feel free to decode.  :)

Which leaves us with the old private IP space.  The problem of using
this is possible collisions with private IP space used by individuals'
home networks.  This can be mitigated by using private IPv6 space, which
very few people will be using on their home networks right now.  But I
suspect that situation will change as time passes and we'll once again
be in trouble.

One last consideration is network device compatibility.  Does your VoIP
device have IPv6?  How about your (possibly old) home router?  Net-44
makes a lot of sense in these scenarios.  What about the devices trying
to access HamWAN's resources from the outside world?  Does your ISP
allow you to route to an IPv6 HamWAN address?  Asking people to dial
into IPv6 tunnelling services is a further barrier to entry.

So to wrap it up, I'd like HamWAN to register for a fairly big chunk of
Net-44 (/20?), register at least one IPv6 block, and get an ASN.  From
there we'll have the resources to conduct subnet allocation to users &
infrastructure without worrying about collisions.  But in the immediate
term, we'll likely end up using private space.  :-/

--Bart