[HamWAN PSDR] Improved radiation pattern software and new antennas on the way

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Fri Feb 8 09:59:34 PST 2013

I'd like to identify a set of HamWAN-approved antennas we can use.  Ones
which meet HamWAN's requirements and pass testing.  Any antenna which
performs up to the requirements can be accepted.  So far, I have not
found 1.  So we've got a few more candidates on the way.  The Laird is
not quite out of the running yet, it needs to be outdoor-tested to
measure the true backside performance.  The Laird is, however,
incredibly expensive @ $180/ea.  And it has poor frequency response at
the high end.  Unlikely to be selected.

For the time being 5GHz is it.  There's plenty of spectrum to grow in
there, and when that's all exhausted we can expand to other bands like
3GHz or 10GHz.  But I expect 5GHz is here for quite a while, a few years
at least.

Now, you mentioned Ubiquiti, so if your question was about modems, I'll
have to reply in more detail.  :)

--Bart