[HamWAN PSDR] We have a Constitution!

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Tue Feb 12 22:06:16 PST 2013

Good Newwws, Everyone!

The HamWAN board of directors cast a unanimous vote tonight accepting a
slightly modified version of the proposed constitution. Our constitution
has now been published at the Constitution
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Constitution&structure=HamWAN>
page, and is in effect immediately.

Why is this management overhead good news?  We finally have an official
process for making decisions!  So if someone wants to spend HamWAN
money, there's a way to go about it that's completely above board, in
the light of day, using a unanimously agreed upon process, and without
any ill feelings.

There are plenty of other benefits, such as defining director election /
removal procedures, but the biggest benefit is the ability to make
official decisions in a quick and sanctioned way. Tremendous progress!

Over the next few weeks the board will be working on defining our
By-Laws, which will fill in the specific details of the generic language
found in the constitution.  We will follow Article VII of the
constitution to bring the By-Laws into effect.  This calls for a >=66%
in-support vote, cast by HamWAN project members, not just board
members.  Non-voting members will not be counted as per our new
constitution.

In creating the constitution, I wanted to shift the power and control to
those people who are actively engaged in the project. Those who are
contributing.  There is no concept of quorum.  All voting procedures,
with the exception of director removal votes, are counted based on
participating member/director votes only. Abstaining from voting does
not block any decisions.

I won't rant about this any more.  Read the Constitution page.  It's
really short...by design.  :)