[HamWAN PSDR] system usage

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Wed Feb 13 00:05:52 PST 2013

An excellent point to bring up, and one I've struggled with in the past
as well.

Short answer: read Article 0
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Constitution&structure=HamWAN#Article_0_Mission>
of the Constitution
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Constitution&structure=HamWAN>.
It describes HamWAN's mission.

Longer answer with rationale for HamWAN's mission:

A useful and vibrant computer network is one that allows like-minded
people to communicate together.  In the case of the Internet, we have
the ultimate wide deployment across geographical regions and social
groups.  It is everywhere and provided to everyone.  From there, you see
communities forming around their collective commonalities.
Topic-specific message boards, mailing lists, IRC channels, web
sites/apps, etc.  We cannot hope to compete with the speed of terabit
fiber-optics, or the budgets of global ISPs to be all things to all people.

I, however, am a nerd.  And I enjoy the company of my fellow nerds.  It
is these nerds that I would like to exchange data with.  I believe that
passing a basic amateur radio license exam is a good filter for the
quality of nerd that I'd like to see on the network.  Such a requirement
also broadens the adoption of amateur radio itself in our society filled
with computer nerds, who would love to play with digital networks, but
don't have a ham license.  This is a good thing.  The compu-nerds might
learn new things in the realm of radio along the way.  Voice net
check-ins burn at my computer-literate soul, and the injection of
computer-savvy nerds into the amateur radio hobby will fix these archaic
procedures.  So there you have (part of) the rationale for requiring all
participants to be licensed radio amateur operators.

I'm also a bit of an independent.  Why should I put my communications
needs solely in the hands of large corporations and the Internet?  Most
of my communication is local.  I would be very happy to achieve
independence from the corporate teat for at least my local
communications needs.  On this kind of independent network, WE define
the rules.  Comcast wants to charge $200/mo for a 50Mbit downlink feed.
I think we can beat that if we build it ourselves.  And make it
symmetrical at the same time, so none of this 10Mbit uplink limit.
Nerds are not just consumers, they're also providers of data services.
The common Internet services target your typical mom & pop audience, who
are dominantly consumers of data.  I'd love to live in a world where I
can carry around a ham-phone
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NinjaTel_Van>, my car is a mobile
ham-hotspot, and my house is tied into the HamWAN, all at a
significantly lower cost than the for-profit commercial offerings, while
being tailored to my nerdy needs.  And there you have some rationale for
"free digital communication" as a goal.  I can go on for quite a while
on this subject.  :)

I'm also a bit of a survivalist.  I like knowing exactly how my
communications facilities work and how to fix them.  Should my Internet
or cell service go down, I like knowing I have another completely
independent system of communication.  The other emergency communications
groups share this attitude, and it makes them great partners in building
this network.  These are the driving forces behind the emergency
communications part of HamWAN's mission.

Did I mention I'm a nerd? :)  Doing the R&D to bring this type of
network to life is great fun.  A long focused effort by a group of nerds
will (and already has) produced valuable results.  These need to be
published so that others may benefit from our experience in building
their own networks of this kind.  And there you have mission point #2,
about conducting and publishing R&D.

The publication of this knowledge also ties in with point #4, of
educating and spreading knowledge.  Point #4 is also supported by
requiring participants to pass ham exams.

Lastly, I realize HamWAN will not be in control of all such like-minded
networks.  These types of ideas (both technical and
organizational/social) can spread like wildfire, and independent groups
are sure to spring up.  When groups' networks grow and start touching
each other, I want to be sure they are compatible. For this reason the
last sentence of the mission statement is that HamWAN will act as a
coordinator of interoperability.  The recent decision to go with AMPRnet
block registration solves a large part of the interoperability problem.
But there are other considerations, such as the universal adoption of
the NV2 protocol which would make a roaming ham's equipment compatible
with other groups' networks.  We may also have to implement an
inter-network registration system for roaming hams.  There are analogous
systems in the cellular telco world.  If we develop & establish a
universal system of digital ham identity at least, that would go a long
way even if we fail on the protocol adoption front.  Someone suggested
using the LoTW client certificate, which is not a bad idea at all.  ARRL
provides a rigorous identity verification system in LoTW signup,
although I'm not sure how good they are at expiring said certs in a
timely manner should the registration lapse or be revoked by the FCC.

Phew!  I'm out of words.  There's so much work ahead it's scary.
Recruiting recruiting recruiting recruiting
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE>!  There's no way I can
implement the entirety of this vision for the future alone.

--Bart