[HamWAN PSDR] Holy smokes, we have Internet address space!

Cory (NQ1E) cory at nq1e.hm
Wed Feb 13 08:30:17 PST 2013

Unless I've misunderstood the point of this network all together, there
shouldn't be a case where we want the entire network address space to be
reachable from the global internet.  It's much more likely that the network
will remain as autonomous as possible and any connections to the internet
will be for connecting specific services through a gateway of some sort.

A subnet of at least /23 (typical minimum for global BGP announcements)
should be reserved for the purpose of being globally routable in the
future, if/when HamWAN decides to peer with one or more ISPs.  An address
in the /23 can be given to each service gateway for connecting to the
internet.

The rest of the 44-net allocation can be treated as private address
space, except that it's essentially guaranteed not to cause conflicts with
the user-level networks since it's still globally unique.