[HamWAN PSDR] Holy smokes, we have Internet address space!

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Fri Feb 22 16:46:13 PST 2013

Hello, "The Doctor"!  Do you have a The Name? :)  I do remember reading
about Byzantium when I was doing initial research for HamWAN, so welcome
to the mailing list!

You make an interesting, but scary point about laws banning public
networks.  I'm not so much worried about ISP policies; ISPs can be
changed.  I've surfed through the link you provided and while it makes
claims that laws have been passed, I can't seem to find any direct link
to state legislature legal websites which publish the ratified laws.

Worryingly, it seems Washington state is affected.  Are you able to find
anything official on the books for WA you can point us to?

The short blurb of laws cited at the top of this page
<http://www.cybertelecom.org/states/wa.htm> only seems to require that
any public network give explicit authorization to the general public for
connections.  This seems like a reasonable policy and should not kill
intentional public networks.  In our case, we're not an open public
network, and do require user registrations.  Since we're using spectrum
reserved for hams, we just have to make sure each user is a ham.  It's
not hard to become a ham, either.  So we're just 1 step removed from
being fully open to the general public.  :)

The laws on the main page look to be concerned with local GOVERNMENTS
offering free networks and stomping out free enterprise competition.
This also seems reasonable to me.  I'd rather get my free WiFi from an
NPO than a government.  Let the government donate to an NPO if they want
to setup such things in their community.

Let the berating of my opinions begin! :)

--Bart