[HamWAN PSDR] POLL: How do you feel about HamWAN network having shared control of the microwave modem @ your location?

Rob Salsgiver rob at quailsoftltd.net
Thu Feb 28 18:34:45 PST 2013

I think you're likely to find this a moving target....  As you mentioned,
most ISPs do this in some fashion already.  Conversely, you can also opt to
buy your own cable or DSL modem, etc - but the onus is on you to deal with
any "incompatibilities" identified by the carrier.

For the most part, I would be perfectly fine with HamWAN doing the same
function - provided it doesn't hamper my ability to do what "I want".  Some
examples of this would be port forwarding, traffic prioritization settings
(from my internal stuff to the network, not network node to network node -
that's "the carrier's" responsibility).  Routing settings COULD be an issue,
if I wanted to setup my own preferred alternate routes vs letting the
backbone handle it (this is one of those "grey" areas).

For the most part, I look for the following basic list of features:

1) My normal path through the network to other HamWAN hosts and the Internet
is fast, short, and reliable
2) If anything in that path fails, my traffic re-routes without my knowing
it and all continues to work well.
3) Any inbound defined services, such as port forwarding (for Echolink, etc)
work under both #1 and #2.

There is one situation I can think of that may run into problems with HamWAN
managing remote endpoints.... that is the scenario where someone is
developing RF-link based functionality that may be affected by an
"auto-overwrite" by the network.... i.e. - someone is working on new
antennas or testing traffic management possibilities.  As an example - if I
decide to replace my antenna with something "home brew" and want to modify
the transmit or receive parameters for specific testing, there may be some
conflicts here.  Using other vendor radios or developing your own may be an
issue as well.  These can probably be handled using very few exceptions, and
likely is not worth making major "policy" changes to accommodate, other than
the potential for a few select devices to be excluded.

Part of the excitement of developing this beast is simply not knowing
everywhere it might take us.  We may find more potential conflicts down the
road that will have to be considered if/when they come up.

Cheers,
Rob Salsgiver - NR3O