[HamWAN PSDR] HamWAN Response to FCC NPRM 13-22

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu Mar 14 00:20:10 PDT 2013

For those unfamiliar with the issue, we are dealing with the FCC
removing protections of Amateur Radio spectrum in the 5GHz band.  I have
attached the exact (lengthy) FCC publication which announces this
intention.  Page 6 shows the graphical view of what they're proposing.
Paragraph 97 on page 31 covers details of U-NII-4 rules, which sums up
to it's OK to run high power, and it's OK to run it outdoors.  This is
big trouble for amateur radio in this band, as amateurs will be denied
entry onto sites that use this spectrum for unlicensed but commercial
reasons.  We cannot compete with the money changing hands between
commercial WISPs and site owners.

Below is what I've drafted as a response to this proposed ruling. Please
read it over and comment.  We only have a few weeks to file the response
and generate popular support to sway the FCC's opinion.  Please spread
the word through the amateur radio community.  I have posted this
message on our website at:

https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=HamWAN+Response+to+FCC+NPRM+13-22&structure=HamWAN

for easy sharing with others.

*HamWAN Response to FCC NPRM 13-22*

The new U-NII-4 band allocation and U-NII-3 25MHz expansion for
unlicensed users will cause many problems for Amateur Radio networks
operating in that spectrum.I would like to point the commission to an
example of one such band plan for the HamWAN network:

https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Spectrum+Allocation&structure=HamWAN

To summarize the spectrum here textually, it is:

Guard Band: 5.835-5.845GHz

Channel 3 @ 240 degrees azimuth: 5.845-5.865GHz

Guard Band: 5.865-5.875GHz

Channel 2 @ 120 degrees azimuth: 5.875-5.895GHz

Guard Band: 5.895-5.905GHz

Channel 1 @ 0 degrees azimuth: 5.905-5.925GHz

This arrangement allows co-existence of Amateur Radio digital networks
on high up and densely populated radio sites, alongside commercial
wireless service providers.

It has been HamWAN's experience that site owners, when deliberating
Amateur Radio admission onto such sites, are primarily concerned about
the impact to these unlicensed commercial wireless service providers.So
even though Amateur Radio licensing in the 5.65-5.925GHz range
technically allows priority access to these frequencies for amateurs,
the reality of the situation is the exact opposite.Financial benefit to
tower site owners is the true arbiter of spectrum usage at prominent
sites.Amateurs have no chance of competing with commercial spectrum
interests in this band.The U-NII-4 allocation, and the 25MHz U-NII-3
expansion effectively deny access to the frequencies for amateur usage
at sites required for network creation.

Given that there is great momentum behind deploying these free-to-use
amateur networks right now, this will force the amateur community into a
contentious position with the unlicensed commercial users of the
spectrum, particularly at popular tower sites.Amateurs will be forced to
use the only tool left available to them, and that is to file complaints
of interference against the unlicensed users until their operations at
popular sites are either shut down or moved to different spectrum.

HamWAN would like to achieve a peaceful co-existence with existing
wireless network providers, by leveraging the amateur portion of the
5GHz spectrum as much as possible, before opportunistically sharing the
rest of the U-NII spectrum.This view of cooperation is shared by other
amateur organizations.

In summary, please consider the value that non-commercial microwave
networks delivered by amateurs provide to their communities, and please
revert the U-NII-4 allocation along with the 25MHz U-NII-3 expansion.We
do not oppose the other changes in NPRM 13-22.

Signed,

Bart Kus

HamWAN Chairman