[HamWAN PSDR] funding / additional sites

Rob Salsgiver rob at quailsoftltd.net
Sun May 19 22:27:33 PDT 2013

Greetings all,

Consider this my lobbying effort - not so much to board members as to list
members.  Bart already covered some of this, but here's my shot.

I expect most of you have joined the list because you see the potential of
the HamWAN project.  Most of you have also been involved in other efforts -
expanding your own systems, packet networks, or other digital systems.  All
of us pretty much know what the potential of the system is and what it could
mean to disaster communications, experimentation, and furthering amateur
radio as a serious player in modern regional connectivity.

HamWAN is at a critical stage.  Many similar efforts fail due to the
inability to make advances fast enough to get established and flourish.
Without the ability to move - and move quickly - when the opportunity
presents itself, site owner interest will fade as the opinion of "another
flash in the pan" takes root.  With 3-4 operating sites under our belt, we
can  involve enough active users to keep the fire kindled and move the
effort forward through the winter and into next year.

I am not much in favor of buying the equipment on credit unless absolutely
necessary - but I AM in favor of doing it getting it done - and if doing it
on credit is what it takes, then we need to do it.

I am asking all of you to consider donating some funds - whether you can
spare $5 or $500, it all counts, and NOW it is important.  Two years from
now we can afford to take our time with fundraising if needed, but NOW is
not that time.

Another chunk is in your inbox Bart.  Make it happen.

Rob Salsgiver - NR3O