[HamWAN PSDR] dBm musings [was 8 ft horizontally = 9dB increase]

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.com
Fri Apr 18 15:19:07 PDT 2014

Prior details in the eMails below ...

Shortly after the -75dBm report below, I started to see the value drop
to a usual range of -77-80dBm, with occasional excursions down to
-83dBm.  I spent three long sessions (one getting wet) out on the roof,
to no avail (I carry an Android tablet logged into the MikroTik radio,
to observe the effects of small adjustments).  The variations did not
seem related to rain, although a wet antenna seems to drop the signal
about 2dB.  Interestingly, during the night there was little change, but
the commute hours seemed to generate the most fluctuations.  I think
that's because the line-of-sight path runs about 20ft above 132nd St SE,
a busy street connecting I-5 and Highway 9 at the north end of Mill
Creek.  Perhaps the signal is bouncing off of vehicles?

I originally thought that perhaps the decrease from the initial -75dBm
to -78dBm was perhaps due to foliage growth (this is Spring, after
all).  However, in the last week I've seen a very slight increase
(1-2dB) in the average signal level, so I don't know what to make of
that.  Perhaps someone has been picking flowers, or Bart has been
climbing the SnoCo DEM antenna tower and making adjustments (just joking)?

Anyway, the reason for this idle posting is just to record my
observations for others to consider.  I have thought of raising my
antenna a couple feet using a similar gutter mount.  I then considered
that would probably place the center-of-mass above the gutter, which
would make the whole thing unstable in a strong wind without a 3rd
attachment point.  What appears to be the lower "attachment point" in
the images, is in fact just contact bracing, with gravity providing a
constant contact.  That's nice when the whole thing is stable with
regard to pivoting around the gutter axis (as it is now), not so nice
otherwise.  Yes, I could weight the lower end down to lower the center
of mass, but right now the weight is enough to make hanging the thing on
the gutter difficult, when standing on a slanted roof ...

-- Dean