[HamWAN PSDR] HamWAN use cases [was: hamwan.net DDNS]

Rod Ekholm kc7aad at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:08:47 PDT 2014

I really like to use Mikrotik's "The Dude" for the SNMP graphing and value
history. It has a lot of value, though it may not do some of
the really fancy things (ie: Google Earth API's) that other
applications do. But for free, it's a powerful tool to use in conjunction
with the Mikrotik appliances (and other vendors if you're willing to add
the MIBs)!

On 2014-04-22 13:15, Nigel Vander Houwen wrote:
> Dean,

> 4. Yes. I need to configure the monitoring server to actually poll SNMP,
and then we can tell the maps to use the RRD data. Since you say you've
enabled that, I'll configure that now.

> You are correct, since live data is based on the RRDs, if a client is
disconnected, the latest RRD values will be 'U', and be presented to the
javascript as nulls. I don't know that I'd replace that with the last good
value, as that's no longer a true representation of the network, but I
don't think I'd be opposed to having that data be potentially in the info
box, though it would require some more work to set up.

> Nigel K7NVH

You'd only show the last "old" value if you could show the date/time for
it (and perhaps "thin" the connecting line).

What would be really cool, is an app that captured (on a second-by
second basis) and graphed (in the classical sense) the signal strength
over time, either from your end or from the client's end. It would be
especially helpful in setting up an antenna, rather than the bouncy
values from "monitor" (I note that you can set the polling interval to a
fraction of a second).  Hmm, I wonder if Java (not JavaScript) has a
decent API for SNMP (I presume that's the best way to capture the data).

--
Rod Ekholm

kc7aad at gmail.com