[HamWAN PSDR] HamWAN use cases [was: hamwan.net DDNS]

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 21:45:23 PDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Dean Gibson AE7Q <hamwan at ae7q.com> wrote:
> Actually, what would be helpful (and motivate sharing of dynamic data), is
> for the text in those "click-on bubbles" for each site to indicate the
> "type" of data.  Eg (these are just ideas;  some of them are mutually
> exclusive):
>
> Site survey 2013-06-07
> Static report 2014-02-14
> Dynamic report 2014-04-02 16:53Z
> Online; status at 2014-04-20 17:37Z
> Offline; last online 2014-04-19 02:15Z

Dean,

I agree the map data could use more verbosity. These are the current
types of map data:
- Coverage (the red overlay)
- Site (the radiation symbol)
- Link (PtP between sites)
- Client
- Site survey (non-live client data)

All data are online/live unless labeled "site survey". Online nodes
are represented by blue lines where the line width is related to the
current negotiated link speed (this fluctuates a bit). When a client
drops offline, the link line disappears and the signal strength shows
"null dBm"--essentially no special handling in the software, the value
just goes away. Signal surveys are gray lines, indicating a tested
path but no connection.

The data is collected with SNMP into Cacti, then aggregated into a
JSON file for the website. Javascript parses the JSON file and places
the data on the map. I've been working on a portal website to allow
people like you to edit DNS entries and edge firewall rules for your
hosts. Eventually, I'll consolidate the map data into this database so
you can update things like lat/lon yourself. Then I'll clean up the
JSON a bit, and finally clean up the javascript that generates the
map. If you'd like to jumpstart integration of your suggested changes
into the map, you can start work on the javascript while I finish up
the back end. Just click View Source on hamwan.org and you should have
everything you need.

Tom KD7LXL