[HamWAN PSDR] DNS mapping

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.com
Sun Jun 8 20:42:38 PDT 2014

OK, after disabling the 44.x.x.x route, Firefox accepts the LoTW
certificate for http://encrypted.hamwan.org, and your web pages work.
FYI:  In Internet Explorer (which I tested for you, but don't normally
use), there's a long, LONG pause before it asks me to confirm using the
LoTW certificate, and then an even longer pause before your web page
comes up, that denies access.

After re-enabling the 44.x.x.x route, https://encrypted.hamwan.org still
works in Firefox (even after restarting it) -- I hope that's not a bug,
because traceroute is showing a direct 44.x.x.x path to it.

However, when I get to my page for adding DNS records, the terminology
used fails me, even after 15 years of running BIND with a number of
domains and subdomains, and teaching it at the U. Washington:

 1. I know the distinction between a "hostname" and an "interface" on a
    host, but not in a DNS record.
 2. I know what an "interface" is in a route, but not in a DNS record.

Is that terminology in the RFC?

Somehow I changed the PTR record to be what I want.  However, I'm at a
loss as to the difference between creating a "host" (which apparently
wants a MAC address, a lat/long, but not an IP address!), and just
creating an "A" record.  So, I deleted everything and manually added the
"A" record.  As a result, when I click on the "Your hosts" tab, there's
nothing, not even a listing header.  I'd gladly use the "Create Host"
page, except that I no idea what to do with the "interface" fields.  I
have no idea what the "Primary" checkbox is for (more terminology
issues).  I know what "primary" and "slave" mean in terms of NS records,
but not for a host.

Also, when I do a DNS search for my callsign on your web page, I see all
three of my desired DNS records.  However, when I use "DIG", I see:
/
dig @a.ns.hamwan.net ns1.ae7q.hamwan.net. ae7q.hamwan.net. ns -x
44.24.240.173

;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns1.ae7q.hamwan.net.           IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ae7q.hamwan.net.        3600 IN      NS      ns1.ae7q.hamwan.net.

;; Query time: 65 msec
;; SERVER: 44.24.244.2#53(44.24.244.2)
;; WHEN: Sun Jun  8 20:03:05 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 51

;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ae7q.hamwan.net.               IN      NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ae7q.hamwan.net.        3600 IN      NS      ns1.ae7q.hamwan.net.

;; Query time: 86 msec
;; SERVER: 44.24.244.2#53(44.24.244.2)
;; WHEN: Sun Jun  8 20:03:05 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 51

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @a.ns.hamwan.net ns1.ae7q.hamwan.net.
ae7q.hamwan.net. -x 44.24.240.173
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;173.240.24.44.in-addr.arpa.    IN      PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
173.240.24.44.in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN     PTR     ns1.ae7q.hamwan.net.

;; Query time: 24 msec
;; SERVER: 44.24.244.2#53(44.24.244.2)
;; WHEN: Sun Jun  8 20:03:05 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 77/

Note that there is no A record pointing to 44.24.240.173 (the PTR record
is correct).   I've spent a couple hours trying to get it to show up in
DIG, to no avail.  It didn't show up in DIG even before I deleted the
"host" entry.

Also, the query for the NS record doesn't return an ANSWER section; it
just returns an AUTHORITY section (which happens to contain the
"answer").  That's not what I see when I query for NS records for
subdomains for (as an example) "u.washington.edu".

I'm glad I'm retired and have the time to spend on this ... This is your
guys' network, and in a sense, I'm just playing around.  You should run
DNS as you want.  However, If someone like me has these issues (I'm a
perfectionist), I'll bet others are going to be lost ...