[HamWAN PSDR] DNS mapping

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 18:18:55 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Dean Gibson AE7Q <hamwan at ae7q.com> wrote:

> This requires a specific (and non-current) version of a specific browser (eg, Opera) ?!?!?!?

Dean,

The portal can be accessed from a few different protocols/configurations:

http://portal.hamwan.org/ - plain old HTTP. This can be used to access
parts of the portal that do not require authentication, like record
listings and the map (e.g., http://portal.hamwan.org/dns/all/ ). We
don't suggest logging in here because your username and password would
be sent in the clear.

https://portal.hamwan.org/ - HTTP over non-cipher (not encrypted),
authenticated SSL. This is a Part-97-friendly way to authenticate with
the portal. We have SSL configured to request a Logbook of the World
certificate and only negotiate SSL with null ciphers. Most browsers
don't allow null ciphers, so they will report an SSL cipher mismatch.
I found that Opera 12.16, the most recent version of Opera released
for Linux, has an option to allow null ciphers. I wrote up some
instructions for this and left the sections for other browsers blank.
You or anyone else who wants to experiment is welcome to experiment
and come up with some instructions for other browsers.

http://encrypted.hamwan.org/ - redirects to https://encrypted.hamwan.org/

https://encrypted.hamwan.org/ - HTTP over encrypted, authenticated
SSL. This is configured for standard, encrypted SSL, so it is NOT
allowed over Part 97, but should work with normal browser settings.

The content is the same at all of these addresses; it's just the
protocols that differ.

By the way, the SSL configuration may not be compatible with Internet
Explorer; I never tested it. I seem to recall something about Internet
Explorer not liking optional SSL authentication (as opposed to forced
or disabled). Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera are tested and
working.

If you've done all this and it's still asking you to authenticate,
there may be a bug in my code that pulls your callsign out of the LoTW
certificate.

Tom KD7LXL