[HamWAN PSDR] DNS mapping

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 23:15:01 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM, Dean Gibson AE7Q <hamwan at ae7q.com> wrote:
> Gotcha (in the sense I understand).  Check out my current setup, for
> reasonableness.  Possible bugs:
>
> The DNS records that "Create Host" (and its "edit/update" variant) creates
> (A and PTR), do not have a TTL (which I assume means they pick it up the
> zone default).  Easily edited in "Your DNS records".  Of course, let me know
> if you would prefer the field blank, in order to use the zone default.

This is as designed. They'll pick up the default TTL of 3600.

Overriding this in the DNS section as you describe is also not a
problem and should work just fine. However, if you go back to the Host
form, check "auto DNS", and save, your customization might be
overwritten by the automatically-generated record. Just uncheck "auto
DNS" to preserve your manual customizations.

> For "ether1.paine.ae7q.hamwan.net", "Create Host" would not allow me to
> specify an IP address outside of my allocation.    It's useful to have such
> an A record (obviously without the PTR record), if only for record-keeping
> on an interface (eg, mine) that accesses another network.  I created it
> separately.

This is also as designed. I don't want to maintain records for stuff
outside of our network.

I suppose I should add an exception for RFC 1918 addresses for cases
like this. I'll have to make sure the unique constraint is disabled
for these.

> The list of "Your DNS records" does not include the PTR record, which then
> must be searched for, in order to edit (eg, to add the TTL value).

I'm not sure why this isn't working for you. I see the PTRs for IPs
assigned to me.

Here's the code for that query:
https://github.com/HamWAN/hamwan-portal/blob/master/dns/views.py#L105

Notice how unwieldy this query could get if a user owns a lot of IP
addresses--I don't have a better idea for querying PTRs.

> The "All Yo' Stuff", apparently being intended to be inclusive, could
> include "Your DNS records".

Good catch. I don't think that code has been touched since before the
DNS section existed.

Tom