[HamWAN PSDR] DNS mapping

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.com
Mon Jun 9 00:26:19 PDT 2014

On 2014-06-08 23:15, Tom Hayward wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM, Dean Gibson AE7Q <hamwan at ae7q.com> wrote:
>> For "ether1.paine.ae7q.hamwan.net", "Create Host" would not allow me to specify an IP address outside of my allocation.  It's useful to have such an A record (obviously without the PTR record), if only for record-keeping on an interface (eg, mine) that accesses another network.  I created it separately.
> This is also as designed. I don't want to maintain records for stuff outside of our network.
>
> I suppose I should add an exception for RFC 1918 addresses for cases like this. I'll have to make sure the unique constraint is disabled for these.

I had thought you might not want to be a general DNS service;  it could
be taken advantage of.  In which case you should prevent me from adding
the record separately (as I did).  I see no reason to make an exception
for RFC 1918 address;  if you don't want the records.  I only put it in
there for symmetry with wan1.paine.ae7q.hamwan.net as documentation.  I
have no intention of actually using that DNS hostname (the hostname I
use is part of my own internal domain).  Of course, you could allow the
entry in the "Host" info, and just not propagate it over to DNS ...

>> The list of "Your DNS records" does not include the PTR record, which then must be searched for, in order to edit (eg, to add the TTL value).
> I'm not sure why this isn't working for you. I see the PTRs for IPs assigned to me.
>
> Here's the code for that query:
> https://github.com/HamWAN/hamwan-portal/blob/master/dns/views.py#L105
>
> Notice how unwieldy this query could get if a user owns a lot of IP addresses--I don't have a better idea for querying PTRs.

I just did a search for "ae7q" to find mine ...