[HamWAN PSDR] Switching to the 10MHz frequency plan

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Wed Jun 25 13:55:08 PDT 2014

OFDM is a pretty rectangular emission spectrum (unless you're
over-driving your amps), so it keeps pretty tightly to its own
frequencies.  For example:

http://www.dsplog.com/db-install/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/ofdm_tx_spectrum.png

We haven't experienced issues with anyone above 5925 to date.  The
spectrum up there is for fixed microwave (think: point-to-point dishes)
and earth-to-space (think: giant dishes pointed up).  Both types of
usage are highly directional, so even if there is some spill, it's
unlikely to affect anything.  I'm reluctant to pro-actively give up
already limited spectrum on the off chance that some day we'll co-locate
with a licensed transceiver that does use a frequency low down near 5925
and our sideband is strong enough and the antenna gains are correctly
directional enough to interfere.  We do spectrum surveys of our sites
before we install anything, so that we can better predict if there will
be issues.

Good point though, and it has been considered during initial planning.

Aside from emission frequencies, there's also the consideration of
directionality (eg: F/B ratio).  That's an area that we can use lots of
improvement in.  I'm not happy with our present performance there.  I
heard you guys are planning to use UBNT sectors.  We might use them
too.  Just be aware of their very narrow vertical pattern.  It means
setting proper down-tilt is critical.  I really gotta measure them in
full 3D, and with WaveGuards.

--Bart