[HamWAN PSDR] Questions

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.net
Tue Mar 11 18:37:17 PDT 2014

Hmm, let's see:

 1. If you happen to get root access on any of my Linux boxes and do "rm
    -rf /" or "rm -rf /bin" or "rm -rf /sbin" or "rm -rf /sys" or "rm
    -rf /usr" or "rm -rf /lib" (or any other modifications to those
    directories), nothing will happen. Depending upon what I've been
    doing recently, "rm -rf /etc" (or other directories) may or may not
    work.  When I used SCSI hard drives (which back then typically had a
    jumper to force read-only access), that was enforced by hardware in
    addition to a software configuration.  Whether I make similar mods
    to the MikroTik OS configuration, remains to be seen.
 2. I run bind (named), ntpd, and postfix in a chroot environment.
 3. SSH does not run on port 22 (nor does it run on a port # > 1024).
    PostgreSQL is not available on port 5432.  Postfix does not allow
    submissions on port 25.  I don't use self-signed keys.  I don't type
    root passwords.  Etc.
 4. I've run externally-available DNS servers for 15 years, and I've
    *never* allowed recursive queries outside my LAN.
 5. Before I installed FiOS, I asked the (then) Verizon rep whether if
    could support idiot customers with had back-door access to the
    provided modem, and when the answer was yes, I set up a DMZ.  When
    people visit my house and need WiFi or wired access, they're in the DMZ.

I have run various versions of Windows for decades, and until recently
without anti-virus software (some of it is just soothing or alarming
junk), without ever getting a virus.  However, before I made the above
modifications (except the last) to my Linux boxes over a decade ago, I
did have an otherwise-secure Linux box compromised by a vulnerability in
ISC bind: my server was #3 in a five-stage leapfrog attack on a bank.
This was before the above modifications over a decade ago.  Since then,
I've been paranoid. You too can be paranoid, with only a little effort
(or experience).

Oh, and when I was run running a public NTP server (my one serious
mistake; see: http://www.ultimeth.com/Abandon.html ), I had people
accessing my NTP hostname without getting permission, so I changed the
hostname (and let authorized users know), and then pointed the old
hostname to 127.0.0.1 (I have other "useful" but unsupported services
similarly configured).  Boy, did that make one person mad; he complained
to the NTP mailing list (which was somehow unsympathetic).  I guess
entitlement is alive and well on the Internet ...

So yes, I'll take the risk that a change to the HamWAN network will
render my link temporarily unusable.

-- Dean