[HamWAN PSDR] Questions

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.net
Wed Mar 12 22:12:45 PDT 2014

OK, so I have a radio and antenna from Bart, assembled and on a mast
inside my house.  I've run through the steps on the Wiki, except for:

 1. Shared admin, and
 2. Remote logging & SNMP monitoring (which I will do when I have a
    connection).

I've run all the way up to "/interface wireless scan 0", which doesn't
seem to report anything, not totally unexpected since I'm inside my
house.  My DHCP server supplies an IP address to the radio on either the
DMZ or LAN, and that's how I now connect with WinBox.

So, now more questions ...

 1. When I click on the "Wireless" tab in WinBox, the "interfaces" tab
    shows the correct SSID ("HamWAN"), but a frequency of 5180. That
    seems odd.  However, the "Channels" tab correctly shows the values
    set from the HamWAN Wiki for "Client Node Configuration".
 2. Is there a better way to do a scan other than the command (eg, a
    WinBox button somewhere)?
 3. The antenna instructions talk about sealing the cable to the radio
    with some sort of tape.  I know I'm getting ahead of myself here,
    but what to people use/recommend?  This is when I noticed that when
    you mount the radio, the untaped N-connector seems to be oriented to
    catch rain.  Seems like a weird design decision.

Any other comments are welcome as well ...