[HamWAN PSDR] Change in routing ???

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.net
Fri Mar 28 16:43:59 PDT 2014

On 2014-03-28 15:40, Tom Hayward wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Dean Gibson AE7Q <hamwan at ae7q.net> wrote:
>> pps: While setting up the antenna, I received a hand-delivered "stop work order" from my homeowner's association.  A quick phone call and two words ("federal preemption") fixed that.  Details with the pictures to follow ...
> Ha! I'm glad they accepted your excuse. I still maintain that I won't move into a neighborhood with a homeowners association. We'll see how that goes.
>
> Tom KD7LXL

Well, being one of the largest homeowners associations in the state
(they used to be the largest) they were very familiar with the FCC
rules.  They've had their lawyer look into all sorts of antenna issues,
and have come to the conclusion that they'd lose most cases in court.

Apparently someone had reported the antenna as much larger than it is.
Part of the conversation went like this:

HOA:  Is the antenna over a meter?

Me: No, it's nowhere close to a meter.

HOA:  We can't allow it if it's over a meter.

Me: Over a meter?

HOA: Yes, the FCC says we can prohibit it, if it's over a meter.
Something like 42 inches.

Me:  Oh, you mean SIZE.  39.37 inches.  No, it's under a meter.

HOA:  Thank you.  There's no need for you to apply for an Architectural
Change Request.

I did request that a member of the Architectural Control Committee
review what I had done for appearance, as I have not desire to annoy my
neighbors unnecessarily.  A woman from the Committee came by the next
morning (this is one of the advantages of a big HOA with staff: things
don't get delayed) who was familiar with the construction trade, and she
said that she thought I'd done the best reasonable job with the appearance.