[HamWAN PSDR] 8 ft horizontally = 9dB increase in signal strength

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.net
Sat Mar 29 08:09:55 PDT 2014

Resent (delete previous copy of this message), as editing a URL
apparently doesn't change the underlying links (stupid Thunderbird).

> On 2014-03-21 18:05, Dean Gibson AE7Q wrote:
>
> Pending a permanent installation, I now have the antenna outside my
> 2nd story window (pictures pending), hanging from the 2nd story rain
> gutter (plumbing PVC piping/fittings make excellent mounting
> fixtures!).  This has resulted in about a 5dB increase in signal
> strength. [...]  Now I do not have to leave the window open ...
>
> -- Dean AE7Q

Antenna inside (-89dBm):

http://www.ae7q.net/media/5.9GHz-1.jpg
http://www.ae7q.net/media/5.9GHz-2.jpg

Antenna just outside the window (-84dBm):

http://www.ae7q.net/media/5.9GHz-3.jpg
http://www.ae7q.net/media/5.9GHz-4.jpg --  God left a gap in the (many)
trees, right in the path to Paine field ...

The initial outside location, from the street ...

http://www.ae7q.net/media/5.9GHz-5.jpg
http://www.ae7q.net/media/5.9GHz-6.jpg

Move the antenna 8 feet east for a 9dB signal strength increase (-75dBm
= three green lights (power/Ethernet + two signal "bars") ...

http://www.ae7q.net/media/5.9GHz-7.jpg
http://www.ae7q.net/media/5.9GHz-8.jpg
http://www.ae7q.net/media/5.9GHz-9.jpg

The nice thing about the mounting, is that there is NO attachment to the
house, which makes adjustment trivial (sliding the mounting hooks in the
rain gutter).  Even the Ethernet cable goes through pre-existing
screening in attic vents.  The whole thing can be removed from the house
without a trace in 20 minutes (10 minutes, if one is young and agile,
which I am neither). It's (reasonably) light-weight (another plus, for
the same personal reasons).