[HamWAN PSDR] hostname on ampr.org?

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.net
Fri Mar 21 20:40:29 PDT 2014

Now that I have an IP address (albeit DHCP) on HamWAN, how do I assign
an ampr.org DNS hostname to it, and (if feasible) a reverse IP DNS
entry?  Do I:

 1. Contact someone here?
 2. Contact John Hays (the owner of 44.24.0.0/16)?
 3. Need a fixed IP address for these features?

This is not urgent;  I'm just curious what the plans are for hostnames
on ampr.org (or even hamwan.org).  Right now I DDNS-update my own DNS
server to point "hamwan.ae7q.net" to my present DHCP address.  However,
that may or may not be accessible by some "44-only" network users.  Eg,
I may want/"need" a hostname served by someone's (authoritative) DNS
server on the 44.x.x.x/8 network, which seems to suggest a hostname (or
sub-domain) in the ampr.org domain.

The pattern seems to be either a hostname of the form
<callsign>.ampr.org, *OR *a delegation of a sub-domain with the same
name.  Either works for me, although if I also get one of John's
UDRX-440 radios (I've had reservation for one, for the past year), I'd
need another hostname anyway, so maybe a ampr.org sub-domain and a
static IP (for its DNS server) is the way to go ...

-- Dean AE7Q