[HamWAN PSDR] 44.x.x.x HamWAN network at Paine

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.com
Thu May 1 19:28:07 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-01 10:53, Bob wrote:
> 4. ...I was told by ICOM, a few years ago, that the ID-1s could not be meshed.  If the firmware could be reprogrammed to be compatible with Broadband-Hamnet, many of us may be willing to take the ID-1 off the shelf and get them on the air.
> 5. There are groups that have established links using ID-1s back to back ...

The most important thing to remember about two ID-1 radios communicating
in DD-modes, is that they are*"a long Ethernet cable over RF."*  That is
all they are.  If you have more than two ID-1 radios communicating in
DD-mode, it is just like very long Ethernet cables connected to a common
Ethernet hub.  Note that I said an Ethernet "hub" rather than an
Ethernet "switch".  The distinction, while minor, is more appropriate
considering "collisions".

Further, the ID-1 radio is just about as stupid as a piece of Ethernet
cable.  So long as it encounters a properly formed *Ethernet* packet
(not necessarily a TCP/IP packet), it will send it, and on reception,
reproduce it, whether or not the packet contained garbage.  This has two
ramifications:

Ramification #1:  The architecture of your network is completely
flexible, just like it is on the Internet.  You can do anything you
want.  Caveat:  you have to do it yourself with external equipment; the
ID-1 will not do it for you.  So, for any "use case" you want, you
*must* (not should) design your network with just wires (eg, very long
Ethernet cables).  Then, when you are done, you "remove" the cable and
replace it with two ID-1 radios.  Just like the Ethernet cable in real
life, there are certain limitations with the ID-1:

 1. Line of sight; and
 2. speed.

So, what are the advantages of the ID-1 over wire?

 1. Distance to the next hop; and
 2. frequency agility (move away from competing traffic).  Since the
    ID-1 can be remotely controlled, we are going to be experimenting
    with this capability to increase the utility of the ID-1 in DD-mode.

In my opinion, asking the ID-1 to have /"firmware ... reprogrammed to be
compatible with Broadband-Hamnet"/ is missing both the point and
flexibility of the ID-1.  Rather than have the software in the ID-1, you
can have it in the adjoining box.  What adjoining box?  Well, what are
you trying to do?

Consider the "Universal Digital Radio" (UDRX-440) from "NW Digital
Radio".  Some buyers want it to be a complete "appliance" solution (eg,
gateway, server, etc), and some just want it to be a "raw" radio.  Well,
with the ID-1 you don't get a choice:  it's the raw radio.  These days,
little network devices (eg, Raspberry Pi) can be had for the price of an
Icom programming cable (grin), and they can provide almost all the
flexibility you need.

Ramification #2:  There is no privacy or security.  I'm not talking
about *data* privacy/security;  amateurs already know that's part of
amateur radio.  I'm talking about *n**etwork***security.  Just like the
ten-mile fictional Ethernet cable you can run from your house to your
friend's house, someone can "cut" into the cable at any point, and not
only see what you are transferring, but also can add a fictional "hub"
and access your entire network (unless protected; see below), just like
anyone else in your house or local LAN.  That includes files on your
local computers, unless you have taken precautions.  The Icom ID-1
manual rightly gives a strong warning about this in several places.

Which brings me to configuration.  In my opinion, the best way to set up
an ID-1, is you keep your old "outdated" 10Mbps Ethernet routers (eg,
Linksys BEFSR41 routers that were commonly issued by Verizon for DSL).
You connect the LAN side to your home network, and the WAN side to the
ID-1.  This keeps the local LAN traffic off the air, and also provides
network security via the built-in firewall in the router.

OK, so you and your friend Joe each have your ID-1 radios set up this
way, so what can you do?  Answer: *nothing*.  You have to have a network
service available on one or both the of the local LANs that you want to
*share* (and to the entire world), and so you "punch" a hole in your
firewall device, to forward network traffic to your server.  Your server
better have all the security you need, or you are going to be in
trouble, and I don't mean with the FCC ...

If you think that the proper network and security design is too much
work, then you should probably sell your ID-1, or just use it in voice
(FM or DV) mode.  I don't mean to be snippy, mean, or superior.  These
are exactly the issues that *anyone* running a proper service on the
Internet has to face.  The fact that it might be on a somewhat obscure
portion of the Internet doesn't really provide any security.  Even if
you trust the amateurs you grant access to, doesn't mean that they have
taken the proper security precautions in their home network's access to
their regular Internet ISP.  Some amateurs (not you; your friends ...)
have a real capacity to think they know more than they do ...

OK, OK, it sounds like a lecture.  Sorry; I used to teach basic
networking at the UW in Bothell.  I'll end with this true story:

Years ago, I found someone's mail server being used as an "open relay"
(a common default configuration some twenty years ago) by some spammer.
For some reason, I felt led to contact the administrator of the abused
server, and he replied with much thanks.  He told me that he had just
installed Linux on a brand new server, using an IP address that had not
been used before, and then went to breakfast before completing the
server configuration.  When he came back (about an hour later), his
server had been discovered and was being used to send spam.

"Obscurity is no security"

-- Dean