[HamWAN PSDR] KU7M and his dBm

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.com
Wed May 21 19:44:35 PDT 2014

First of all, Kenny:  welcome!  Now that you have a HamWAN connection, I
hope you are no longer mad at me.  Where is your antenna
(inside/outside, height above ground, etc)?

On a related but more serious side, do you have a direct line-of-sight
path to Capitol Hill, or do you go through trees?  The reason I ask is,
my path goes through some trees.  When it is windy, that causes my RX
signal level (dBm value) to vary about 5 dB (mostly down).  I have
wondered whether mounting my antenna higher would help my overall value
(of course it would help when it is windy).

My average RX signal level is 80 dBm (no winds), and yours appears to be
83 dBm.  However, you are twice as far from your cell site as I am from
mine, and since power falls off as the square of the distance, I'd
expect (in similar configurations and siting) that you would experience
a 6 dB difference.  Since the difference is only 3 dB, that suggests
that (all things being equal, which they never are) I might gain *at
most* 3 dB by moving the antenna.