[HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: Approve spending for 3 modems

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Sat May 31 17:17:40 PDT 2014

Hello,

Yesterday we got a really important link working.  Directly from a major
Internet peering point with multiple fiber drops to our microwave
network.  Specifically from the Westin building to our Queen Anne
location.  This link was then tested to perform at about 140-150Mbit.

Due to the geometry of the Westin building, the dish we're using there
is not a good fit.  At least 1/2 of it is obscured by the building's
column.  I'd like to replace this dish + modem with a smaller QRT-5
modem.  The integrated antenna of the QRT-5 should be unobstructed in
its view of Queen Anne.

I'd like to feed the Haystack site from our Queen Anne location.
However, we have space and aesthetic restrictions at the Queen Anne
site.  The best performing and most aesthetically acceptable modem there
is a QRT-5.

Finally, we have some spectral restrictions on our Baldi site.  I've
been exploring using the 3.3-3.5GHz ham band for PtP there, since it
doesn't overlap with commercial operations, and 200MHz of spectrum is a
really important asset. I've tested one modem so far, the Ubiquiti XR3
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Ubiquiti+XR3&structure=HamWAN>,
but it's not a good candidate.  It doesn't cover anything below 3.4GHz
so we'd be losing 100MHz of potential bandwidth, and it's not a MIMO
modem so we'd be losing 1/2 the potential speed.  I'd like to purchase
an F36N-PRO modem card and put it through its paces.  For all the paces,
I'd need 2 of them, but I can start the testing with just 1.  And yes,
I'd like to test the US/CA version, not the international version. I'm
guessing we can make the US/CA card work outside its intended spectrum,
and it's cheaper and easier to come by, so if that can be accomplished,
it's the preferred model.  Also, we don't have to lie about export
intentions when making the purchase.

So, to sum it up, here is the total spending request:

Qty
	URL
	Price
	Subtotal
1
	http://streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=F36N-PRO-US&eq=&Tp=
	$95.95
	$95.95
1
	F36N-PRO Shipping
	$15.54
	$15.54
2
http://www.ispsupplies.com/brands/Wireless-Systems/MikroTik-RB911G-5HPnD-QRT.html
	$169.00 	$338.00
1 	QRT-5 Shipping 	$22.31 	$22.31

	TOTAL:
	$471.80

For Streakwave, I'm listing the reseller pricing, which I have access
to.  Yes, the F36N-PRO is showing as available for $90 @ baltic
networks, but when you go to check out it shows as back ordered.  Don't
want drama.

My vote is YAY.