[HamWAN PSDR] HamWAN via passive reflectors

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Sat Jun 6 18:09:47 PDT 2015

On 6/6/15 9:03 PM, Bart Kus wrote:
> We pointed the dish at a random hillside across the water from Luther Burbank,
> and picked up Capitol Park @ up to -73dBm.  Bouncing off this hillside we got
> 3.5Mbit download and 5Mbit upload speeds to the Internet.
>
> I guess the lesson here is: If you don't have a direct path to a HamWAN cell
> site, perhaps you can try playing with some indirect reflected paths to get
> connected!

Very cool!

Bart, are these dual pol links or vertical only?  If they are vertical only,
did you try switching to horizontal at your client end?

Generally a single reflection will cause a 90 degree shift in polarization.
Some times over multiple ones you can have some fun things happen that you
can't model.

Also in most cases a passive reflector is only going to be useful if one
station is very close to it with the other being further away.

73's W9CR
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice