[HamWAN PSDR] Status of HamWan in Puget Sound?

John V. Cornelison john at VashonSoftware.com
Thu Dec 22 19:49:24 PST 2016

A couple of tech savvy folks on Vashon are recommending against HamWan for
emergency Internet access if Vashon's sole fiber optic connection to the
mainland gets severed. Apparently the problem is that the nodes wouldn't
survive an earthquake 'reorienting' the antennas. Can anyone confirm the
validity of this?

Given that HamWan seems to have been created about 2005-2007, are there any
more modern alternatives for robust internet to Vashon Island?

We're currently leaning toward (the much pricier) Hughes or other satellite
dish connection.

I know of the incoming/potential www.onenet.wa.gov
<http://www.onenet.wa.gov>  for public service agencies - which should be
available to us. We had considered a microwave hookup to the South King
County data center near Tukwila or to a commercial provider such as
www.accelnet.net/www.cortland.com <http://www.accelnet.net/www.cortland.com>
. Some cell towers from the mainland reach parts of Vashon too, enabling a
hot spot approach.

Any other ideas?

Thanks & happy holidays,

John Cornelison