[HamWAN PSDR] Status of HamWan in Puget Sound?

Nigel Vander Houwen nigel at nigelvh.com
Thu Dec 22 20:44:54 PST 2016

John,

I think any option you listed is susceptible. HamWAN is designed to be as robust as possible with multiple paths to most everything. But it can conceivably fail for parts or all of the network. It’s another option. There’s a finite chance that service X will fail in the earthquake, the more services you have available to you, the more chances one will still work.

Your ground based Hughes dish is just as vulnerable to earthquake shaking as your HamWAN client dish would be, and I have to believe given the history in earthquakes, that the cell networks will be entirely overloaded and useless, assuming you get a signal at all.

Also note that HamWAN isn’t supposed to be an “internet replacement”, it does have connectivity to the internet, and if that still works in the case of the big one, great! Consider HamWAN closer to an island, like yourself. There’s all sorts of connectivity within the island. (EOC/DEM, Hospitals, etc.), and it has links to the internet for greater access.

Nigel