[HamWAN PSDR] Kitsap County Gold Mountain HamWAN Attempts, Dish and Sector Antennas K7MM

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Wed Jan 27 11:03:57 PST 2016

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Daniel Ransom via PSDR <psdr at hamwan.org> wrote:
> Today I put up my new QRT5 MIMO panel (does MikroTik not know that QRT means
> to stop sending?!!!).  I have better signal strength at -80 dBm.  The signal
> strength on the Laird SA58-90-17-WB/Metal S5HPn has been slipping to around
> -84 dBm today.  So, by going MIMO, I got at least 3 dB better in actual
> signal strength on the QRT5--should it be more?.  Either the 3dB or the MIMO
> (or both) give me slightly better reliability on the QRT5, where the Worst
> times for the hops in the Tools > Traceroute display have less variance than
> on the sector/Metal combination.

Dan,

Your signal is just barely on the margin of functional. Hopefully this
can be resolved. Maybe the wind / tree movement has changed your aim
for the worse.

Looking at the stats on the sector, it looks like you don't have MIMO
enabled on the QRT5. You could stand to gain some better performance
by enabling this. What do you see when you run
/interface wireless print advanced?

I'd expect to see tx-chains=0,1 rx-chains=0,1. You can set this if needed:
/interface wireless set 0 tx-chains=0,1 rx-chains=0,1

Tom KD7LXL