[HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: Upgrade failing Baldi - Capitol Peak modem to NetMetal

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Thu Sep 29 14:25:03 PDT 2016

HamWAN board,

Last weekend I noticed a big crash in the Baldi - Capitol Peak
point-to-point signal strength:
[image: Capitol Peak - Baldi - Wireless Signal Strength]We still have not
deduced the cause of the crash, but investigating it led us to discover
that one of the MIMO chains on the Baldi end of the Baldi - Capitol Peak
link is broken. These two receiver levels should be near identical:
[image: Capitol Peak - Baldi - Wireless Signal Strength]The modem in
question is an RB912 installed Sep 3.

I'd like to propose HamWAN purchase a RB921UAGS-5SHPacD-NM to replace the
failed RB912. Current price is $129 with free shipping via Amazon Prime.
The Capitol Peak end already has the RB921UAGS-5SHPacD-NM modem, so this
upgrade will bring the link up to symmetric power levels and 802.11ac
speeds.

I already have replacement jumpers to install between the dish and modem,
in case that is part of the problem.

The RB912 will be recovered, repaired or warrantied, and put back into
service at a future site as a sector modem.

Tom