[HamWAN PSDR] Let's talk about identity

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu Apr 6 15:24:03 PDT 2017

I suppose we may want to amend HamWAN's official Mission statement to
better reflect the recent work in developing software and networking
standards.  The stuff we released so far in this realm is:

  * SSH Without Encryption
    <http://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Authentication/SSH%20Without%20Encryption.html>
    <http://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Authentication/SSL%20without%20Encryption.html>
  * SSL Without Encryption
    <http://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Authentication/SSL%20without%20Encryption.html>
  * Open Peering Policy
    <http://hamwan.org/Labs/Open%20Peering%20Policy.html>
  * High Availability
    <http://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/High%20Availability.html>
  * Some other Server suggestions
    <http://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Cell%20Site%20Configuration/Servers.html>
  * Point to Multipoint Authentication
    <http://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Point%20to%20Multipoint%20Authentication.html>
  * Quality of Service
    <http://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Quality%20of%20Service.html>

Some of these are better than others.  Many of these need more work.
Specifically, only the SSH solution is "finished", I think. The
unpublished work going on right now is focused on automation and
robustness of network services.  I got some good engagement in the
(most of it in private email), and that left me with a few options to
verify in the lab and on the HamWAN network.  This identity thread
doesn't quite have the same expert engagement though, so the quest
continues.

At the inevitable risk of offense, I don't see what ARETF offers to be
leveraged.  Having surfed the site, forum and github repo, it's pretty
much empty.  What this work requires is active, dedicated engineers who
have a deep understanding of how things work in this space.  Show me
where THOSE people are, and I'll happily join the group.

Why can't ARETF's mission be executed within HamWAN?  We have a small
but growing set of engineers who are well versed in the digital world.
We also have the added benefit of real-world use cases, so you don't
fall into the pit of designing-for-everybody on your first iteration.

Having said all that, I don't think the entirety of what's needed to
service emcomm (and likely even ham) users can be implemented in
HamWAN's current organizational model.  Motivating said skilled
engineers to execute consistently and on-time (or even at all) has been
one major impediment to success.  Lately I've been studying the
viability of remunerating engineering work in this problem space. The
most surprising finding to date is that some folks have a philosophical
opposition to getting paid for their work product in this problem
space.  Feel free to contact me privately (goes for anyone) if you're
interested in this latest viability study of mine.

--Bart