[HamWAN PSDR] Crystal Mountain / RAMROD

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Sat Jul 29 12:25:49 PDT 2017

Hi Randy,

The Crystal VHF repeater and HamWAN link were installed temporarily for
RAMROD by Bruce WB7DOB and Casey WW7CH. I helped configure the equipment
but was out of the country on install day. Howard N7GHT also helped. We are
working with the site managers to get permission to leave this gear
installed permanently, but don't have an answer yet.

It is a complicated site with many tenants. All the antennas are mounted to
the side or roof of the building and there's not much room left. Even if we
get permission to leave the repeater permanently, I don't think there's
going to be room for any additional HamWAN equipment.

There are other potential paths across the mountains. Raven's Roost is one
option. Although it can't see Darland directly, it can see Bethel Ridge and
Mission Ridge. Do you have any access to Bethel Ridge? Stan K7DKK has been
working on improvements to Raven's Roost with the goal of setting up an FM
repeater to link Yakima EOC and Camp Murray. If you know people associated
with Yakima EOC that are interested in a high-speed data connection to Camp
Murray, you might have them express this interest to Stan. We would love to
be part of his plan.

It's too bad the middle school is in the shadow of the hill and cannot
connect directly to HamWAN. It would have been nice to see your
"radio-less" Allstar node connected via ham radio!

Tom KD7LXL