[HamWAN PSDR] Crystal Mountain / RAMROD

Randy Neals randy at neals.ca
Sat Jul 29 15:19:38 PDT 2017

Thanks Tom,

I would have liked to have had the WiFi network we deployed at
Thunder-Mountain Middle School (TMMS) linked via HamWan instead of the
T-Mobile 4G LTE connection I ended up using. :-)
I checked the path from Baldi to TMMS before the event to see if it was
possible.

We had two radio-less allstar nodes testing during the event.
I had one at TMMS in control and KD7DK tried a second from the Ashford area.
It worked ok over the T-Mobile 4G, and in Ashford they used the Internet at
the motel.

The radio-less nodes are really good in a couple of use cases.
-Very handy as remote control point beyond the reach of the RF reach of a
repeater, but as a means for accessing the repeater. For example, in an EOC
to access distant repeaters. (Over HamWAN of course!)
-Also useful for net control stations as the radio-less allstar nodes are
full duplex.
If net control is keyed-down and "doubles" with someone, the other person'd
audio still comes through the speaker so net control can take whatever
action is needed.

Re Site Access.
I'm familiar with Raven Roost and Bethel Ridge. I think AT&T called them
American River and Tieton when they where TD-2 Microwave.
http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/WA76.html

Similarly, the towers still exist on the north path Rattlesnake Ledge -
Hyak - Cle Elum - Kittitas

Re contacts in Yakima..
I think I know someone who knows someone. Let me chat with them and revert.

-Randy
W3RWN