[HamWAN PSDR] Metal 5SHPN Network Help

Rob Salsgiver rob at nr3o.com
Sun Mar 5 19:16:00 PST 2017

Thanks Tom, you’re beginning to stir more memories of the conversation.

Part of it is that it comes back to the overall amount of administration.  To be honest, other than things that absolutely NEED to be on a public IP, I prefer to have all of the internal assets protected by a firewall – same as your typical household.  I realize that firewall rules can be setup to protect public IPs as well as private, but why go to all that extra effort?  Your average consumer router takes care of all that, rather than giving and EOC or hospital a dozen IPs that all MUST have administration applied and updated every time the end-user wants to add a widget or make a change.

I can understand it if for example a hospital for some reason wanted to have public web servers on the 44 space, but most EMCOMM uses are pretty standard – we want to hook up a laptop, VOIP phone, or tablet to be able to communicate in a disaster.  Very seldom (if ever) would you have inbound IPs needing to be port forwarded or managed, and if so then they can do that on their end-user firewall (Netgear, ‘Tik, or whatever).  It still leaves the greater flexibility and capabilities that you outline when needed, but the admins don’t need to be involved UNTIL it is one of those cases.  Most EOCs and hospitals don’t host Echolink nodes!

Another aspect is – why put something critical like an EOC or hospital at risk when it’s not needed.  You may have perfectly good firewall rules and configurations on the public / 44 IPs used by laptops or other items within an EOC, but one screw-up snafu’d automation script and those devices are potentially compromised.  Not the kind of PR you want to move forward with – particularly when the default “safe” method of having an internal firewall covers that – and transfers the liability to the end-user and not the network admins.

Not sure where that leaves us, but thanks for the discussion.  Look forward to getting it ironed out.

Cheers,

Rob