[HamWAN PSDR] Wind Storm Update

Nigel Vander Houwen nigel at nigelvh.com
Mon Nov 13 22:59:08 PST 2017

Hey HamWAN Folks,

I wanted to give a quick update on how we’ve weathered the wind so far.

Very early this morning (~2AM Pacific), Gold Sector 3 went unresponsive. It appears the site saw a power blip, and everything else came back, but sector 3 didn’t. I’ve tried further power cycles to see if we can sort it out, but there’s been no luck so far. I’m not sure if there was anyone on sector 3 specifically, so hopefully the loss isn’t felt too greatly there. We’ll have to keep fiddling to see if we can bring it back, or if it will need more of an intervention.
Early this afternoon Baldi lost commercial power. This fall a group of folks went up to install a large battery backup for our gear there, and the last number of hours on battery have barely scratched the surface. I’m extremely pleased with the new backup capacity there given the power issues we had last year at Baldi. We turned off the camera to save a little power, but otherwise the gear is fully operational.
Capitol Park had a commercial power outage this afternoon, that resolved a short time ago. A few weeks ago we were able to get a bit of backup battery capacity for the HamWAN gear installed here as well, and it nicely carried us through the outage.

Overall I’m very pleased with seeing a couple of our sites lose commercial power today, without having impact to the gear. As such, I’d like to again give a big thanks to the folks who’ve volunteered their time and resources to the betterment of HamWAN. Thanks everyone!

Nigel