[HamWAN PSDR] Client hardware questions

B.J. Guillot bj.guillot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 14:51:17 PDT 2018

Hello all.

I'm interested in setting up a HamWAN client for experimentation purposes,
but have been running into issues acquiring compatible hardware.  I placed
an order with Streakwave for a MicroTik RB911G-5HPnD-QRT international
model, but it seems to be back-ordered with no ETA.

The sales rep recommended RB911G-5HPacD-QRT instead.  The specs seem
similar with the added benefit of 802.11ac support, but I read something on
the HamWAN site indicating that the models supporting "ac" don't support
the needed 5 or 10 MHz channels needed.  But, then I read something else
indicating that the newer QCA9892 wireless chip does in fact support 5 or
10 MHz channels for the 802.11 a/n and it might work.

Can anyone confirm if RB911G-5HPacD-QRT would be OK?

The other items she recommended were RBSXTsq5HPnD and RB912UAG-5HPnD.  The
latter appears on the HamWAN website, but it sounds like it might be
overkill for my application.

My house is in Marysville WA (near Lake Stevens WA).  I'm not sure that I
have a good line of sight from my house to Paine Field, so it's mostly for
experimentation.  I can see portions of the Port of Everett from my house,
so I might be able to see Providence hospital a little higher up--but I
don't think they have a sector there, just a client.

Also, a general question about supported frequencies.  The HamWAN page
mentions "5.9 GHz", but when looking through the MicroTik technical specs
documents for many of their models, they quote thing like:
- RB911G-5HPnD-QRT-US (USA) is factory locked for 5170-5250MHz and
5725-5835MHz frequencies. This lock can not be removed.
- RB911G-5HPnD-QRT (International) supports 5150MHz-5875MHz range (Specific
frequency range can be limited by country regulations)

Is the 5875 MHz upper limit (versus 5835 MHz) what is being referred to as
"5.9 GHz"?

Sorry for the long message.

Regards,
B.J. Guillot