[HamWAN PSDR] Client hardware questions

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Sun Aug 5 21:25:29 PDT 2018

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 7:57 PM B.J. Guillot <bj.guillot at gmail.com> wrote:

> The sales rep recommended RB911G-5HPacD-QRT instead.  The specs seem
> similar with the added benefit of 802.11ac support, but I read something on
> the HamWAN site indicating that the models supporting "ac" don't support
> the needed 5 or 10 MHz channels needed.  But, then I read something else
> indicating that the newer QCA9892 wireless chip does in fact support 5 or
> 10 MHz channels for the 802.11 a/n and it might work.

You'd think a Streakwave sales rep would be able to tell you if a modem can
do 5 and 10 MHz channels. Maybe ask about this specifically? Maybe she'll
go the extra mile and power one up to test it. That'll save you the trouble
of ordering one and doing the same.

> The other items she recommended were RBSXTsq5HPnD and RB912UAG-5HPnD.  The
> latter appears on the HamWAN website, but it sounds like it might be
> overkill for my application.

Don't overestimate 5.9 GHz propagation. I don't bother with anything less
than the 2 ft dish unless it's a 100-yard shot to the other end of the site.

I don't think it's listed on the website yet, but you might try one of
these dishes with the RB912:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079QGF3S2/

Also, a general question about supported frequencies.  The HamWAN page
> mentions "5.9 GHz", but when looking through the MicroTik technical specs
> documents for many of their models, they quote thing like:
> - RB911G-5HPnD-QRT-US (USA) is factory locked for 5170-5250MHz and
> 5725-5835MHz frequencies. This lock can not be removed.
> - RB911G-5HPnD-QRT (International) supports 5150MHz-5875MHz range
> (Specific frequency range can be limited by country regulations)
>
> Is the 5875 MHz upper limit (versus 5835 MHz) what is being referred to as
> "5.9 GHz"?

If it's listed on the website, that means someone has tested it on the
HamWAN channels, 5880, 5900, and 5920 MHz.

Tom KD7LXL