[HamWAN PSDR] HamWAN demo, Feb. 6-7, 2019

Carl carl at n7kuw.com
Thu Aug 30 09:33:41 PDT 2018

Can Nigel or Bart or another on the core HamWAN team comment on the status of the WA EMD setup? I believe the site has been evaluated, and some (all) equipment has been purchased, but nothing is installed and they are not yet on HamWAN.  This event in February seems to be a strong motivator to get that project moving.  Perhaps there is someone on this list that is adequately connected at Camp Murray to poke whomever needs to be poked to get this moving?

I see this February meeting and demo as an outstanding opportunity to expand the presence and use of HamWAN between emergency management functions. I know that Snohomish County and Seattle EOC are both on it, and both have VOIP phones on a HamWAN based PBX (totally independent of external internet). That capability absolutely needs to grow.

While demonstrating other amateur radio capabilities, such as APRS, is always something we should look for opportunities to do, we should also be careful not to dilute the potential to strongly promote HamWAN at the February meeting, given the already expressed interest in it.

Carl, N7KUW