[HamWAN PSDR] Beacon Tower-Capital Park Backbone Link

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu Mar 29 19:32:51 PDT 2018

As another data point, I do plan to install an AF-3X based uplink to
Haystack this summer when the snow clears.  But those modems are like
$600/ea.  :-(

- Does the Rocket M3 support GPS-sync?
- Does it require an M5 or some other modem on the LAN to sync with that
GPS?  (I don't see it having a GPS port)
- Are the Rocket M3 GPS-synced TX/RX windows in phase with the AF-3X
GPS-synced transceivers?  (ie: can they coexist on a site)

To clarify my earlier email, since I consider it implicit but perhaps it
should be stated explicitly, I'm not opposed to using other bands.  It
is healthy though to contribute points of balance to the conversation so
that good decisions can be made by weighing all the pros / cons.

Let me also address Bryan's IRC statement of "it's ham radio, just buy
some stuff and play with it".  While that's totally valid for smaller
networks, we're finding ourselves stretched very thin in the task of
maintaining this network.  It's grown pretty large, and too few people
know how to operate it.  We have to take a multi-faceted approach to
keeping things operational:

1) Onboard more skilled folks who know what to do
2) Keep things as simple as possible to minimize management
3) Rely on automation to offload manual labor

While some of us operate far larger networks professionally, those
networks come with significant financial resources in staffing, vendor
support contracts, and automation software development / tuning.  We
don't have any of those benefits here, so we're hitting the wall far
earlier.

Finally, I saw a point come up in this thread from Kenny that said: "We
have hit a situation that the old approaches are not working". I haven't
yet seen strong evidence for that being true.  Where "that" means "using
the 5GHz band".  For the QueenAnne-CapitolPark example cited in this
thread, I haven't seen anyone post results of spectral analyzer runs at
both sites to find a common free channel. I suspect if this is done,
we'll be able to find a frequency that works A-OK for that link.
(Earlier point about us running out of manual labor capacity exemplified
here.)  Given the excellent LoS between [Beacon, SeaEOC] and [Beacon,
CapitolPark], I wouldn't be surprised if both CapitolPark and SeaEOC can
link to Beacon via the same dish there.  SeaEOC can live on a sidelobe
since it's extremely close.  This would cut out the requirement to
install yet-another-dish @ Beacon (a pro!), and save money (another
pro!). It may be slower than a dedicated [3,10,11,18,24,74,etc]GHz link
(a con).

--Bart